Monday, January 7, 2008

The English Language

Overheard conversation in health food store near Chambers and Reade:

Older Jamaican woman: Do you know where the Stonyfield Yogurt is located (I changed the name of product to protect her identity)

Latino man stocking dry goods on shelves: I don't know.

Older Jamaican woman: DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE STONYFIELD YOGURT IS LOCATED?

Latino man stocking dry goods: What? I don't know

Older Jamaican woman to female friend: He doesn't understand me. He can't speak English.

Latio man stocking dry goods: smiles

Some non-native English speakers whom I know described to me how native English speakers sometimes claim authority over them, regardless of how well the native speaker can communicate. What assumptions are made about non-native English speakers? What kind of cultural capital does it hold? Tell me your stories.

No comments: