Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sample Sale Frenzy


Sample sales are a staple for New Yorkers looking for high end fashion at a reasonable cost. This may explain why bargain hunters standing in a long line at the entrance of the Steve Alan sample sale were willing to wait for a chance to squeeze through the tight racks of overpriced plaid shirts and dresses. Since handbags had to be checked in, I could only carry my wallet and phone (and a steely determination not to get caught up in the frenzy of $100 cotton frocks) as I surveyed the sale during my lunch hour. Hipsters, both male and female, however, stripped to their underwear before an alter of abandoned clothes at the back of the store  just to take home the perfect fit. 

The truth is I don't know how to integrate Steve Alan's plaids into my wardrobe and opted for the basement where more treasures were located instead. Paying for two linen scarves (fuchsia and silver at $10 each) in cash seemed like a confusing, novel transaction for the hurried cashiers so used to processing large credit card purchases. To this end, my beige frock (a failed experiment with no return online sales) was saved by a splash of color before mid-day.

No comments: