Thursday, December 27, 2007

Mandatory HIV testing of mothers and infants in NJ


Last week I had a yearly physical and decided to have every known STD tests I could possibly have done with the blood work I was able to draw. This was my choice, and something I hadn't done in many, many years.

In New Jersey, however, state legislators are planning to pass a bill that will make HIV testing mandatory for all mothers and infants. This is a reproductive issue that should be about choice, but the State plans to force pregnant women to be tested with or without their consent.

What kinds of intervention of care will the State of NJ provide if new mothers find out they are HIV positive? Will this information stall the transmission rates among certain populations who have not adopted safe sexual practices as a defense against the spread of HIV in their communities (fail to use a condom)?

No comments: