Friday, July 8, 2011

An Exercise in Autonomy

Visiting Perouge was an exercise in autonomy for me, as I ventured to the medieval village alone using my limited French language skills. It meant navigating the national rail system. It has been years since I last traveled alone, and as such I had to make an effort memorizing the map of two neighboring villages, outside of Lyon, France. From the closed rail station in Meximieux, I walked 2km to the hilltop village. The scent of burnt sugar, cow manure and grass led a trail to the city gates. Children on field trips ran through the streets with chaperons beckoning them to investigate their surroundings. I wore the wrong sandals for the cobblestone lanes, but this minor detail didn't matter as I had unleashed something more important, the adventurer in me.

No comments: