Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The September Issue

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I've been unable to partake in this season's Fashion Week, and missed the frivolity of last week's Fashion Night Out entirely.  For most part, I'm having a vicarious experience riding the wave of the new fashion season as it unfolds online. Look no further for some great blog coverage of both events. 

I am pleased, among other things, to learn that vests and bright yellow are holding strong this season. However, I can do without the pointy Grace Jones-inspired shoulder pads that appear so prominently during so many shows. 

I did, by chance, get a chance this evening to screen The September Issue, which I thoroughly enjoyed for all of its visual novelty.  The ephemeral elements of fashion are what make the film so captivating. 

All the pretentiousness and sycophantic behavior one might imagine of the minor players who surround Anna Wintour were in full view for the camera to capture.  Mostly, though, I found myself identifying with Vogue's Creative Director, Grace Coddington, the true protagonist in this film. 

The power of suggestion was so strong that later this evening, I entered a magazine shop and asked if they had this month's issue of Vogue in stock.  It was sold out.

No comments: