Monday, June 2, 2008

No sex in the city


NYC may be glorified as the fifth character in the new Sex in the City film, but I am disinclined to see it. The series represents a period of excess, unlike the economic period in which we currently live. It seems grossly inappropriate but I may be alone in my opinion.

Over brunch last week, friends Chris and Robert, who purchased their SITC tickets in advance, claimed this economic downturn was the perfect cultural climate to escape into the fantasy of the characters and their lives. I would disagree. Earlier that morning, they bought sickly sweet cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery (a landmark in the film) that I found indigestible, like all the hype about the film.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

it's sex AND the city, not sex IN the city

the genre this film falls into doesn't usually lend itself well to escapism as much as it does to proscribing social norms.

any reactions on opening day?